(c) Pocumtuck Valley Memorial Association, Deerfield MA. All rights reserved. Contact us for information about using this image.
Once part of the Massachusetts Central Railroad, this one-half mile long truss bridge over the Connecticut River linking Hadley with Northampton replaced the ferries as primary transport. Used as a rail bridge from 1887 to 1932, it is now home to the Norwottuck Rail Trail. The railroad not only changed how the countryside looked, but also provided fast, efficient, and economical transport for people and goods. This was a tremendous benefit to industry on both sides of the river.